PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – UNDERSTANDING BASIC TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Basic Skills in Basketball – Catching and Throwing Primary 2 (Basic 2)
TOPIC – SAFETY RULES IN BASKETBALL GAMES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Safety Rules in Basketball Games
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
state safety Rules in basketball games.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Chart showing Safety Rules
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Discuss basketball safety rules with the pupils.
On board, copy as I write.
MEANING OF SAFETY RULES IN BALL GAMES
Safety rules are sets of instructions that ensure the safety of the players during trainings or competitions.
Safety rules reduce or prevent hazard that could result in injury and illness.
SAFETY RULES IN BALL GAMES
The following safety tips can help protect you from injuries during training and games –
1. Know the rules of the game and follow them.
2. Make sure the environment is not wet and the game equipments are ok.
3. Get first aid kit available at practices and games.
4. Use appropriate skills.
5. Stop training and games if you get hurt or feel pain.
6. Stop playing if you are tired or injured.
7. Get rest after trainings and games.
8. Be sure that the ball games courts or fields are in good order.
9. Limit the number of contact during practices.
10. Use standard and appropriate ball games kits or equipments.
11. Respect the referees and don’t argue with them.
LESSON TWO – REVISION AND WEEK LESSON ASSESSMENT
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Discuss the safety rules in basketball.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussion.
3. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to –
1. explain safety rules?
2. mention 3 safety rules in ball games.