Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
WEEK 6 – CAUSES OF SOIL FERTILITY REDUCTION
WEEK 7 – WAYS TO ENRICH THE SOIL NUTRIENTS
THEME – AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – PROPERTIES OF SOIL
TOPIC – CAUSES OF SOIL FERTILITY REDUCTION AND WAYS TO ENRICH SOIL FERTILITY
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- mention the causes of soil fertility.
- describe ways of enriching soil fertility.
- maintain the soil fertility of the school farm.
Growing of crops
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Soil samples – sandy, clayey and loamy
- Measuring glass
- Filter paper
- Cotton wool
- Maize grains.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Land is the solid part of the earth not covered by water. Soil is the upper layer of the earth where plants GROW. Different kind of crops are grown in the soil. There are three types of soil – sandy, clay and loamy soil. The best soil for growing crops is loamy soil. Other soils are used for different purposes.
CAUSES OF LOSS IN SOIL FERTILITY
Characteristics of a good soil is known by the kind of trees and grasses that are grown on it. The trees will grow big with green leaves and fruits. But when the trees and grasses are set on fire, not only the trees and grasses are affected, the soil nutrients are burning along with the decay animals, dried leaves and micro organisms. It will take time (even years) before the soil recover its nutrients.
This is when the soil nutrients are drained because of too much of water.
Overgrazing exposed the soil nutrients to sunlight, wind and water erosion. Too much of animals activities such as feeding destroyed the soil nutrients.
Land cleaning also expose the soil nutrients to sunlight and erosion.
Erosion is washing away of top layer of the soil. Soil erosion wash away all the minerals and the nutrients in the soil.
HOW TO ENRICH THE SOIL AND MAINTAIN SOIL FERTILITY
- Adding fertilizer
- Crop rotation
- leaving fallow
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides soil fertility discussions.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussions.
- Collects samples of fertile soil (loamy) and non – fertile soil (sandy) in separate pots.
- Plants maize in the pots to illustrate effect of soil fertility level on the plants.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in carrying out the experiments set up by the teacher.
- Give a board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – characteristics of types of soil.
- Next Lesson – Preparation of Compost/Manure
Pupils to –
WORK BOOK (ASSESSMENT)
Attempt all the questions
1. Define soil.
Mention the 3 types of soil.
5. What is the best soil for farming?
State 3 things that makes the soil to loose its fertility.
Mention 2 ways to enrich or maintain soil fertility.