Last Updated on September 9, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Basic Movements – Throwing of Objects (Primary 1)
TOPIC – CATCHING OF OBJECTS AND STRIKING A BALL
1. Introductory Activities – Catching of Objects
2. Striking A Ball
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. Catch objects thrown to them.
2. Strike objects correctly.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of playground, balls, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES – CATCHING AN OBJECTS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Guides two pupils to demonstrate how catch ball thrown to at them.
Asks them to explain the activities of catching of objects.
CATCHING OF OBJECTS
Catching an object is when you quickly holding an object (e.g. ball) that is throw at you.
HOW TO CATCH
To be able to catch a ball thrown at you, follow the following instructions –
1. Eyes on the ball.
2. Be ready and focus.
3. Bend your knees slightly.
4. Catch the ball.
HOW TO STRIKE A BALL
1. Give the pupils a plastic bat suitable for their size.
2. Start with using a beach ball and move on to smaller balls.
3. Once he is comfortable with a tennis ball, move on to a regular bat.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils on how to catch and strike an object – ball.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s guidance.
3. Demonstrates the basic manipulative movements of catching and striking an object, supervise the children and offers assistance.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice manipulative patterns of – catching and striking.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to –
catch and strike an object thrown at them.