Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – UNDERSTANDING BASIC TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Safety and Accidents (Primary 5)
TOPIC – MEANING AND USES OF MATERIALS (TYPES)
1. Meaning of Maintenance
2. Importance of Maintenance
3. Simple Maintenance Activities and Materials Needed
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the meaning of maintenance
2. state the need for maintenance.
Leather for making shoes, cocoa for making beravages, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
6. Pieces of metal
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Meaning and Importance of Maintenance – ASEI PDSI METHOD (Primary 5)
Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Basic Science and Technology Primary 4, Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
The purpose of maintenance is to ensure that our equipment are in good working condition always.
A breakdown in plants and machines cloud be as a result of inadequate maintenance. In all work place, houses, schools and roads, maintenance is needed in order to keep equipment in good working condition.
MEANING OF MAINTENANCE
Maintenance is an activities that should be carried out on regular basis in order to keep equipment in good working condition.
IMPORTANCE OF MAINTENANCE
1. It makes our equipment last long.
2. It prevents us from dangers. For example, accidents at home or in the school.
3. It saves us from embarrassment.
4. It prevents our equipments and materials from rustling.
5. It beautifies our home and environment.
6. It reduces (saves) waste of money.
LESSON TWO – WAYS OF MAINTENANCE AND MATERIALS NEEDED FOR MAINTENANCE
Maintenance could be as simple as the following:
1. Dusting the tables, refrigerator, fan, etc.
2. Sweeping the floor.
3. Mopping the floor.
4. Polishing or cleaning the furniture.
5. Replacing faculty electrical parts.
6. Polishing or cleaning shoes.
Teacher’s Activities – Lets the pupils state the materials needed for the following listed materials.
LESSON THREE – WEEKLY ASSESSMENTS
As stated in the performance objectives or lesson evaluations.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays materials and discusses the materials used in technology.
3. Guides students to identify and classify the materials.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and classify the materials.
4. Explains what these materials are used for.
Pupil’s Activities – State the uses of different materials.
5. Discusses the meaning of maintenance.
6. Leads the pupils to identify the importance of maintenance.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. list three types of materials used in technology.
2. state three uses of each of the following:
3. state two reasons why maintenance is needed.