BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – THIRD TERM EXAMINATION
TOPIC – ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTER
1. Introductory Activities
2. Advantages of Computer
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be –
1. state the meaning of computer;
2. mention 5 advantages of computer.
The pupils can identify, define and state the uses of computer.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Storing devices
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LEARNING 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Review the meaning and uses of computer.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the lesson reviews.
Teacher’s remark – A computer as an electronic machine that accepts data as input, processes the data and gives out information. Computers are used by different people in an organizations for different purposes.
Create an activity that will show the advantages of computer. For Snapping a picture and hand drawing. Summary the advantages on the board.
ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTER
1. Computers work very fast.
2. A computer never gets tired.
3. Computer is very accurate. It makes no mistakes.
LESSON 2 – CONTINUATION
4. Computer store large amount of data on its storage device.
5. The computer is used for sending and receiving messages very quickly and accurately.
6. Computer can do one function at a time.
7. Computer can do many functions at the same time. For example, computer can draw, used for watching movie, listening to music, playing game, etc.
Find out the components of a computer.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides in discussing the meaning of Computer;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in discussing meaning of computer.
3. Guides pupils to discuss the advantages of computer to its users. For example, asks the pupils – which one is faster? snapping a picture or drawing with hand, sending letters with computer or with post man? Looking for information and meaning on computer or dictionary?
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussion.
4. Demonstrates activity 3 with pupils using functional computer system.
Pupil’s Activities – Use computer to confirm advantages of computer.
5. Summary the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Next Lesson –
Ask pupils to:
1. State the meaning of Computer.
2. Mention 5 advantages of computer to computer users.