BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Term 2 Plan Lesson Notes and Examination
TOPIC: SMALL AND SCALE APPLICATION OF COMPUTER
2. Small Scale Applications of Computer in the Society
3. Large Scale Applications of Computer in the Society
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. mention small scale application of computer in the society.
2. mention large scale application of computer in the society.
The pupils can identify small and large scale applications of computer.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Digital watch
2. Automatic door lock
3. Auto pilot
4. Picture Charts
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Computer Studies for Primary Schools Book 6
All Relevant Material
Relevant link – Useful and Quick Links for Second Term Plan Lesson Notes All Subjects Primary 4, Primary 5 and Primary 6
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Computer and computer applications are used in various aspects of human activity.
In fact, most professions have application software written specifically for them to solve certain tasks.
Architects have the AUTOCAD software that aid in the design of building and other structures.
Computer applications are classified into two (2) categories,
1. Small Scale Computer Applications
2. Large Scale Computer Applications
SMALL SCALE APPLICATION OF COMPUTER IN THE SOCIETY
Small scale applications of computer are the applications that are designed for small and medium scale (SME) business in our society to enable perform basic tasks.
Small scale applications of computer in our society are as follows:
1. Digital Wrist watches replacing clock.
2. Word Processing replacing manual typewriting.
3. Automatic door locks replacing manual locks.
4. Automatic Gates in houses replacing manual gates.
5. Automatic traffic control system replacing human traffic wardens.
6. Computer Desktop Publishing in printing presses to reduce pre-press processes.
7. CAT – Scan replacing X – Ray.
8. Computer aided graphic designing replacing manual drawings.
9. Computer aided architectural designs replacing manual drawings.
10. Computer aided animation in the entertainment and TV broadcasting.
11. Video Projection for presentation replacing manual papers.
12. Digital and Video phones replacing analogue telephones.
LESSON 2 – LARGE SCALE APPLICATIONS OF COMPUTER OF THE SOCIETY
Large scale applications of computer are the applications that are designed for the lager society such as government and business to perform multifunction tasks.
Large scale applications of computer in our society are as follows:
1. Auto pilot used in airplanes.
2. Satellite communications like CNN, Weather Forecasting, TV Broadcasting.
3. Office Automation like Word Processing Electronic mail, Internet.
4. Space Shuttle
5. Robotics in engineering.
6. Automatic Teller Machine used to withdraw money.
7. Global electronic air ticketing system.
8. Global Telephone and GSM Communication.
9. Oil Exploration and Drilling Operations.
10. Computer Chips Manufacturing firms.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher displays samples and chart showing small and large scale applications of computer.
4. Teacher guides pupils to identify the application of computer in our society.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify some of the small and large scale applications of computer such as wristwatch, atm machine, automatic doors, etc.
5. Teacher uses the chart and sample to introduce the lesson and explains small and large scale applications of computer in our society.
Pupil’s Activities – Analyze the importance of small small and large applications of computer in their communities.
6. Teacher summarizes the lessons on the board with appropriate lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Teacher asks pupils to,
1. state 5 small scale application of computer in the society;
2. mention 5 large scale application of computer in the society.