BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SMASE – ASEI PDSI METHOD
PREVIOUS LESSON – Environmental Quality – Meaning of a Poor Quality Environment | Disadvantages of Environmental Degradation | Causes of Environmental Degradation | Solutions to Environmental Degradation Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC – POOR QUALITY ENVIRONMENT
Lesson One – Meaning of Poor Quality Environment
Lesson Two – Disadvantages of
Lesson Three – Revision and Test
TIME – 40 Minutes each.
By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:
1. explain the meaning of poor quality environment.
2. identify features of a poor environment.
3. identify features of a good environment
4. state the disadvantages of an unhealthy environment.
The quality of an environment is determined by the characteristics of that environment. Some human activities such as oil spills, uncontrolled industrial works, over fishing, applying chemicals to soil, bush burning, playing loud music, dumping refuse indiscriminately, etc. have degraded the Nigerian environment.
Poor quality environment is the changing in the structure of the environment in undesirable ways.
The concept of poor quality environment will enable pupils to understand and identify the features of poor quality environment and appreciate the importance of avoiding these features.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Materials – brooms, rakes, hoes, cut lasses, machetes, baskets.
Pictures of an attractive surrounding.
A good or bad environment is characteristics by a certain futures. The pupils can identify the features good or bad of environmental quality.
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Lagos State Scheme of work
Basic Science and Technology
All Relevant Materials
Relevant method – Environmental Quality – A Good or Poor Quality Environment (Primary 5)
ASEI PDSI LESSON NOTES
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 1 – Environmental Quality – A Poor Quality or Unhealthy Environments Environment docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 2 – Disadvantages of A Poor Quality or Unhealthy Environment docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 3 – Revision and Test
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. _______ is an environment that is not free of disease causing things life like heaps of refuse, pollution, flies and mosquitoes, etc.
2. Which of the following is not the causes of environmental degradation?
C. Planting of trees
3. One of the following is not the disadvantages of environmental degradation.
A. Unattractive environment
C. Wide spread of diseases
D. Attractive environment
4. The following are the causes of environmental degradation except _______.
A. Landfill with waste materials
C. Natural causes
D. Regular cleaning
5. The following are the good quality environmental except _______.
A. attractive environment
B. free from all form of pollution
C. breeding ground for diseases
D. Restful environment
6. A poor quality environment is a breeding ground for pests and diseases.
7. An environment free from all form of diseases is called environmental degradation.
8. A good quality environment make people sick and uncomfortable.
9. Afforestation is the cutting down of trees while deforestation is planting of trees.
10. Fines and punishment for people which break environmental laws cannot them from degrading the environment.