RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Community Leadership – Meaning of Traditional Leadership | Duties of Traditional Leadership Primary 4 (Basic 4) – Civic Education
TOPIC – COMMUNALISM
1. Lesson Introduction
2. Meaning (Features) of Communalism
3. Importance of Communalism
4. How to Promote the Spirit of Communalism
6. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain communalism.
2. state the features of communalism.
3. mention the importance of communalism.
4. explain how to promote the spirit of communalism.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts and pictures of traditional rulers
2. Resources person
3. Other traditional objects, etc.
4. Newspaper cuttings
5. Video clips
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – MEANING OF COMMUNALISM
Communalism is a social system in when all members of the community has collective responsibility towards one another for the interest of the community.
IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNALISM
The importance of communalism are –
1. working together for the interest of the community.
2. given assistance to individual members of the Community.
3. promoting peace and unity.
4. encouraging community participation.
LESSON 2 – HOW TO PROMOTE THE SPIRIT OF COMMUNALISM
To promote the spirit of communalism, it is important that members of a community should attained the following features of communalism –
5. Fair play
6. Sharing dialogue, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Assists pupils to demonstrate ways to promote the spirit of communalism. For example working together to keep their classroom tidy.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in demonstrating ways to promote the spirit of communalism.
3. Asks pupils to state why we should assist or work together with one another.
Pupil’s Activities – State why we should assist or work together with one another.
4. Uses pupils responses to introduce and explain communalism.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation.
5. Summary the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to –
1. explain the meaning of communalism.
2. state 3 important of communalism.
3. Mention 3 ways to promote the spirit of communality.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ______ is a social system in when all members of the community has collective responsibility towards one another for the interest of the community.
2. Communalism simply means ______.
C. collective responsibility
3. Which of the following is not an important communalism?
A. Fighting one another
B. Working together
C. Promoting peace
4. One of these is an important of communalism.
A. Loving one another
B. Hating one another
C. Play one another
5. Assistance given to individual members of the community is for the interest of the ______.