Objects that Sink in Water Primary 2 (Basic 2) Term 3 Week 8 Basic Science and Technology
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LEARNING ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Objects that Float on Water Primary 2 (Basic 2) Term 3 Week 7 Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC – OBJECTS THAT SINK IN WATER
2. Objects that Sink on Water
3. Revision, Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. identify objects that sink in water.
2. demonstrate how to make things that sink in water.
3. make objects that sink on water.
The pupils can identify objects that sink on water.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
HANDS ON ACTIVITIES
Materials – Bucket of water, objects that can sink in water and objects that cannot.
Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class to make a list of objects that can sink water and objects that cannot.
LESSON 2 – HOW TO MAKE OBJECTS THAT CANNOT SINK IN WATER SINK
Based on the existing groups or pairs, teacher guides pupils to make objects like stone, small piece of iron, etc. float on water.
Note, objects that cannot sink in water can’t independently sink unless it’s attached to objects that can sink.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher displays objects that can sink in water and objects that cannot.
4. Teacher leads activities that will enable pupils identify and separate objects that can sink from objects that cannot.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify objects that can sink in water.
5. Teacher uses the activities in step 4 to introduce the lesson and asks pupils to state other objects that can sink in water.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson to understand the concept of the lesson.
6. Teacher guides pupils to make objects that cannot sink water sink.
Pupil’s Activities – Make objects that cannot sink water sink.
7. Teacher summarizes the lessons on the board with appropriate lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson –
Teacher asks pupils to,
1. name 3 things that can sink in water.
2. make objects float in water.