Phonemic Awareness – Songs and Rhymes Primary 1 (Basic 1) – English Studies
THEME – READING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Phonemic Awareness – Word Sound and Syllabus (Primary 1)
TOPIC – SONGS AND RHYMES
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. sing songs taught.
2. recite rhymes.
3. identify letter sounds in songs and rhymes.
4. recognise rhyming words from given word sets and
5. build rhyming word families.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
2. Picture books with rhymes and songs
3. Flash cards
4. Tape recorder.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
1. Iwe kiko
2. Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. Uses songs and rhymes to revises the previous lesson.
2. Uses songs and rhymes to introduce the lesson.
3. Sings songs and recites rhymes with the pupils.
Pupil’s Activities – Sing songs and recite rhymes after the teacher.
4. Guides the pupils to repeat sounds of rhyming word in the songs and rhymes.
Pupil’s Activities – Reproduce sounds of rhyming words in songs and rhymes.
5. Writes down sets of words on the board and lead pupils to identify word sets that rhyme.
Pupil’s Activities – Match rhyming words to given words.
6. Uses pocket chart to help pupils build rhyming word families.
Pupil’s Activities – Build families of words that rhyme.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson –
Ask pupils to:
1. Sing songs and recite rhymes after the teacher.
2. Reproduce sounds of rhyming words in songs and rhymes.
3. Match rhyming words to given words.
4. Build families of words that rhyme.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
Draw a line to match the rhyming words.
1. Red Tap
2. Rat Sum
3. Pen Rum
4. Mum Mat
5. Cap Bed
6. Leg Mug
7. Bug Mug
8. Jet Peg
9. Sun Hen