CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
TOPIC – THEORY OF MUSIC
2. Meaning of Theory of Music
3. Fundamentals of Music
4. Notes on the Keyboard
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives –
1. define the theory of music.
2. define the fundamentals of music.
3. state the fundamentals of music.
4. identify notes on the keyboard.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of music manuscripts, Pianos, Recorders, textbooks, notebooks.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. National Curriculum for SSS Classes
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING/DEFINITION OF THEORY OF MUSIC
Theory of music is the study of music in its entirety, how music works, the language and notation, and elements of music.
FUNDAMENTALS OF MUSIC
8. Form or structure
NOTES ON THE KEYBOARD
A musical keyboard is the set of adjacent depressible levers or keys on a musical instrument.
There are seven natural notes on a piano: C, D, E, F, G, A, B.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Defines the theory of music.
3. Outlines and explains the fundamentals of music.
4. Leads the class in discussion on fundamentals of music.
Student’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion.
5. Guides the students to represent the appropriate notation in their manuscripts e.g pitch, rhythm, texture etc.
Student’s Activities – Use their manuscripts to write notes.
6. Guides the students to identify and draw notes on the keyboard.
Student’s Activities – Draw the different lines, spaces and name them. Sing or play the scale.
7. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. define and state the theory of music.
2. list the fundamentals of music.
3. mention two they have drawn in the music manuscripts.