BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SMASE – ASEI PDSI METHOD
PREVIOUS LESSON – Change caused by Humans Activities (Pollution) – Meaning (Types) of pollution | Meaning of Land pollution | Effects of Land pollution | Ways of Preventing of Land pollution Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC – CHANGE CAUSED BY HUMAN ACTIVITIES
Lesson One – Noise Pollution and Its Causes
Lesson Two – Effects and Prevention of Noise Pollution
Lesson Three – Revision and Test
TIME – 40 Minutes each.
By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:
1. explain the meaning of noise pollution.
2. Mention things that can pollute the land.
Noise pollution is an unwanted sound with harmful impact on the activities of human and animal life. The main causes of noise pollution are home appliances, activities of religious people, political campaigns, opening parties, outdoor advertisements, clubbing, machines such generators, vehicles and aeroplanes, etc.
The effects of noise pollution are aggressive behavior, disturbance of sleep, stress, fatigue, constant headaches and hypertension.
In this lesson, the pupils will be able to understand what is noise pollution and its effects on the activities of human and animal life and how to reduce and prevent noise pollution in the future.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of the sound equipments.
The classroom is sometimes characterised with teacher’s/pupil’s noise especially when they are less busy.
Many times, 5 to 10 percent of these noise are caused by group of teachers most during free periods or when unexpected matters arise.
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Lagos State Scheme of work
Basic Science and Technology
All Relevant Materials
Relevant Link – Change caused by Humans Activities (Pollution) – Meaning (Types) of Pollution | Meaning of Noise Pollution | Effects of Noise Pollution | Ways of Preventing of Noise Pollution Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Basic Science and Technology
ASEI PDSI LESSON NOTES
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 1 – Noise Pollution and Its Causes docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 2 – Effects of Noise Pollution and Its Prevention docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 3 – SHORT NOTE, REVISION AND TEST
Pollution is anything that makes our water, land, air and environment dirty and unsafe to use. These harmful substances introduced into the environment are called pollutants.
The types of pollution we have are land, water, air and noise pollution.
MEANING OF NOISE POLLUTION
Noise pollution means an unwanted and undesirable sound that leads to physical and mental problems.
Noise pollution is dependent on the loudness and frequency of the sound.
CAUSES OF NOISE POLLUTION/NOISE POLLUTANTS
1. Nature – Thunderstorms, lightning, earthquakes, landslides, sounds produced by animals, and rainfall.
2. Human activities
3. Public address systems
5. Emergency services/government sirens
6. Poor Urban Planning
7. Social Events
8. Political campaigns
9. Construction activities
10. Industrial activities
11. Religious activities
EFFECTS OF NOISE POLLUTION
1. Constant headache
3. High stress levels
4. High blood pressure
5. Hearing loss
PREVENTION OF NOISE POLLUTION
1. Aware of the kind of noise that is harmful to oneself.
2. The use of sound proof.
3. Learn to meditate
4. Banned on public address systems.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ________ is the presence in or introduction into the environment of a something which has harmful or poisonous effects.
2. Pollution is anything that makes our water, land, air and environment ________ and ________ to use.
A. clean and safe
B. clean and unsafe
C. dirty and unsafe
D. dirty and safe
3. Pollution leads to the ________ of the air, water, or land.
4. The harmful substances introduced into the environment are called ________.
5. ________ means an unwanted and undesirable sound that leads to physical and mental problems.
A. Water pollution
B. Land pollution
C. Air pollution
D. Noise pollution
6. Noise pollution is dependent on the loudness and frequency of the ________.
Polluted noise is ________ for humans being in particular.
D. all the above
7. One of these is not way of preventing noise pollution.
A. The use of sound proof.
B. Learn to meditate
C. Avoid bush burning
D. Banned on public address systems.
8. One of these is not an effect of noise pollution.
A. High stress levels
B. High blood pressure
C. Brain cancer
D. Hearing loss
9. Which of these is not noise pollutant?
A. Unwanted material
B. Human activities
C. Public address systems
10. Which of these is a noise pollutant?
A. Brain cancer
C. Sound proof
D. Public address system
11. Pollution is the presence in or introduction into the environment of a something which has harmful or poisonous effects.
12. Pollution is anything that makes our water, land, air and environment clean and safe to use.
13. Aware of the kind of noise that is harmful to oneself reduces noise pollution.
14. Banned on public address systems increases noise pollution.
15. Government siren is not one of the noise pollutants.