CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
WEEK 8 AND 10
THEME: ARTS AND CRAFTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – INTRODUCTION TO DANCE
TOPIC – FUNCTIONAL ART
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- identify types of functional art works in the home.
- draw diagrams of functional art works in the home.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Real Arts
- Drawing Books
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF FUNCTIONAL ARTS
A functional art is an artwork that is useful.
Functional artworks are very beautiful and attractive.
It is used mostly in the home.
TYPES OF FUNCTIONAL ART WORKS
Woven items are items made with raffia, straw, cotton and palm leaves. They are most at home.
- Hand fans
- Cane chair
Carving items are made from wood.
- Walking stick
- Pestle and mortar
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains what functional art is.
- Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning of functional art.
- Shows illustrations of different types of functional art works.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify different types of functional art works.
- Pupil’s Activities – Draw diagrams and states the uses of functional artworks in the home.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Singing
- identify functional art works used in the home.
- illustrate a functional art work.
- apply one colour on the object drawn.
- state the uses of different functional artwork.