PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
WEEK 5 for Primary 6
WEEK 6 for Primary 5
THEME – TRACK AND FIELD EVENTS
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – HIGH JUMP
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of High Jump
3. Basic Skills and Style of High Jump
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of high jump;
2. demonstrates the basic skills of high jump;
3. demonstrates the basic styles in high jump.
The pupils can run and jump.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Poles, Cross bar, White/Chalkboard, Course books, Whistle
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons. Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY
MEANING OF HIGH JUMP
High jump is an athletics event which involves jumping vertically over a raised bar.
BASIC MATERIALS FOR HIGH JUMP
1. Pair of high jump stands with T – base.
2. High jump crossbar made of polyethylene foam tubes.
3. High jump mat made of foam.
HIGH JUMP BASIC TECHNIQUES/SKILLS
1. RUN UP – Preparing for take off.
2. TAKE OFF – Period between the run and the take off.
3. FLIGHT – Traveling the air.
4. LANDING – Finish jumping.
5. RECOVERY – Standing on the feet.
BASIC STYLES IN HIGH JUMP
2. STRADDLE/WESTERN ROLL
3. FOSBURY FLOP
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions:
2. Displays charts showing the techniques and styles of high jump.
3. Lets pupils describe the basic techniques and styles of high jump.
4. Uses their description to introduce and explains the meaning of high jump.
5. Also, use the chart to discuss the basic techniques and styles.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation.
4. Demonstrates the basic styles in high jump.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice the styles of high jump.
5. Summarizes the major points on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to –
1. List 3 materials needed for high jump.
2. State 5 basic skills of high jump.
3. List 3 styles in high jump.
4. Performing basic skills and style of high jump. 8 marks.